owhttpd safety:

File system.

owhttpd is very safe. There is only 2 places in the code where any
file operations are done:
1. The "PID" file, which is set from the command line and specifies a
file to write the pid number to.
2. The "configuration" file, again specified from the command line.
Both files must be named explicitly, and are optional.

No file operations are otherwise performed, so your content is safe.

Memory.

Extensive testing shows no memory leaks. No arbitrary length input is
accepted. Input buffer contents (what we write to a 1-wire chip) is
dynamically allocated, so not at a consistent location, making buffer
overrun and arbitrary code execution more unlikely.

Memory usage is relatively modest and scales with the number of
devices, and the number of concurrent connections. Christian's changes
to limit simultaneous requests should protect here.

Hardware

The only hardware accessed is the 1-wire bus masters. The bigger risk,
the USB adapter, must have the correct vendor and product code to be
accessed.

So I'd guess that people access an public owhttpd should be pretty
safe, as long as the 1-wire devices aren't controlling something
delicate.

Paul Alfille