>> Elegant solution. Would I need a computer? Could I just do it with a
>> multimeter?

Yes indeed. If it was me, I would solder a two-conductor cable onto two nails
and drive them, say, an inch apart somewhere in the bottom of the compartment,
and run the cable back to some place where I could periodically test them.
Make a note of the normal resistance, and take action when it changes
dramatically.

This is the principle behind the wood moisture meter like this:

https://shop.euroheat.co.uk/Misc2/13/Wood%20Moisture%20Meter.html

This page has a section on using a multimeter to measure wood moisture:

        http://woodgears.ca/lumber/moisture_meter.html

Now, if you want to automate all of this, you can use a multi channel 1-Wire
voltage sensor like this, based on the mighty DS2450:

        http://pcsensor.com/index.php?_a=product&product_id=43

(I have several of these and they work beautifully.)

--
Daniel MacKay
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada