To expand on Colin's point, the files in owfs are created on the fly by the
program. They don't exist on disk. When you "read" a temperature, the
system makes it look like the file contains a number, but actually the
program reads data from the 1-wire bus to get the value.

The UNIX file system needs a place to hang the top of the filesystem,
/mnt/1wire seems to be what you are using. Everything below that is
"virtual" and doesn't exist until the owfs is run. (Actually any real files
below that point are masked over by owfs and would be unmasked when owfs
isn't running -- but that just confuses things).