Looks interesting, some comments for you:

How do you propose to solve
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_fault_tolerance
which you invoke with your "The system and all its components must
embrace the possibility of failure and design for partial
operational states."  combined with your fully distributed design.

How much benefit is there in smart controllers?  Can you measure the
'regret' between a simple thermostat and a smart controller?  How much
is this worth in $?  I presume that the main reason for Nest is for
data collection and techporn, rather than any real benefit from a
smarter controller.  Perhaps there is some value in load shedding?
But that's going to require real contracts with real utilities,
something beyond an open source project.

Is a wired protocol the best choice for adoption?  have you considered
throwie like esp8266 + ds1822?  How are you going to keep data
persisted if all the nodes are unreliable?  Of course wired is
generally much more reliable, but most people are not willing to wire
stuff up.

I built my father a smart home 20 years ago using technology of the
time.  Something things I learnt:
* Automatic light switching is not really very interesting, and hard
  to do well.
* Traditional mechnical thermostats are more reliable than PCs.
* When you have house-sitters your smart systems will break (also when
  you go away for a conference).
* Wires + outside = corrosion.  Even when you put inside a UL whatever
  rated enclosure, with silicone grease and silca desicant.
* Everything will stop working in a way you didn't predict.
* Electromechanical relays are about the only thing safe to use to
  communicate with other systems.  Don't use opticalelectronic (SSR) ones.
* Humidity sensors drift a lot over a decade.
* Bird shit is corrosive.
* PVC is porous to water.
* UPSs break more often than the grid.
* There are no battery technologies I can afford that last a decade.
* The best user interface is no user interface.
* PCs of that era were surprisingly robust (the original machine only
  died last year, when its 400MB drive died).  On the other hand, it
  did cost more than 100W continuous power.  It has been replaced with
  two beaglebone blacks, one of which only survived 3 months.
* sending power and signal in the same cable is not really worth it.
  Transformers are robust and reliable.
* use AC wherever possible to reduce corrosion.
* irrigation pipe is much cheaper than electrical signalling.  And
  more robust too.
* Don't put anything in the walls, even if it saves you lots in cabling.

Having said all of that.  He still has it, he still likes that the
chicken house door reports its state over the web and that he has a
graph of indoor and outdoor temps, solar electricity production etc.
But he's also a retired EE/Computer Science Professor with skill and
time on his hands.

My recommendation is to find a specific problem that you can show you
can have a direct effect on with automation, and solve that simply and
cleanly.  Then find another one.  And perhaps combine them.  I want
you to succeed (we all do or we wouldn't be on this list), I share
your dream, but this proposal is too big to survive without such
motivating examples.

Alternatively, implement a light weight distributed consensus protocol
in say Rust to run on embedded systems (e.g. esp8266) and become
famous for that.  I'd buy that.

Good luck,
njh