I'll make one public comment on this.

OpenHAB is the exact opposite of what I am thinking of. I would describe
OpenHAB as "You will write in Java, you will use our class structure,
you will limit yourself to the interactions that we think are important
and you will like it. We do." You can certainly build something this way
and get to the feature adding stage sooner, but you also create all
sorts of walls to run into. I have too many dents on my head from trying
to get these kinds of systems to dance anything other than the tune they
came with.

My house is way to complex for this kind of model, at both the
abstraction and interaction level. My house is designed to allow a
control system to run the system in as close to steady state as
possible, with variable  source and distribution units. So "turn it on"
is a less common action than increase this flow or output to 42%.

I also have independent heating and cooling systems with independent and
overlapping zoning. Then again, zone is something a system implementer
thinks about, occupants really don't know or want to know about these
things. I'm here and I'm too hot is their level.

Now imagine trying to predict the solar heating rate from weather
reports/measurements and preheat/precool areas to at least reduce
massive errors. With radiant heat, these decisions are made in time
scale of fractions of an hour in advance.

The interactions need to be defined by the components in the particular
system and the service agreements between messaging agents that present
those components. My goal is to be able to have agents that implement
control algorithms / architectures and allow those to interact with real
world systems.

jerry