Have you looked at the work done by the OPC Consortium?  They are rather
far down the track in the direction you are headed.
It is a quasi-open source project (membership in the club required ).  I
believe it was initially funded by Siemens, AB, Honeywell and others.
In other words heavy hitters.  I believe the initial goal of the project
was to replace legacy scada systems, but has traveled far beyond that.
After all home/industrial automation is home/industrial automation.
The concepts and problems are the same.  Why replow fields and reinvent
wheels?
Arley