Hi All,

    To some extent this follows from thread: *Reliability and Robustness of the DS2482-100 or DS2482-800*

    I've been using a couple of Raspberry Pi's (RPi 1 Model A+) to manage the temperature, humidity and lighting in a terrarium since 2014/2015. One Pi is in active use while the other is used as a development platform to try things out on. Overall I'm impressed by how much one can do without spending a fortune and I'm quite keen to explore further.

    One thing which always bothered me with the Pi's is the SD card. I've had a few corruptions (all power supply related). Even with a clean and stable supply I am still doubtful if one can achieve "industrial grade" reliability if using SD cards. So I'm now looking for other microcontroller options to control my 1-wire based system as I'm intending to extend management to my greenhouses where reliability is more important.

    Options I have looked at so far include the Arduino (Uno, Zero or DUE) and the ESP32. Haven't fully explored the latter but it seems to have an incredible number of interfaces. I'm quite impressed by the Arduino - it's simple, there's a big choice of units and it's easily extensible (with a lot of pre-built modules available). My design will involve power switching and (ideally) more than one 1-wire bus (so a DS2482-100 is likely to be involved). The system will also interface to my network for monitoring and management.

    What are your opinions re. suitable microcontrollers where reliability and ease of extensibility are requirements.

--
Regards
Joe P.