Agreed on all of this.

Even eMMC is susceptible to FS corruption due to no protection of the write
cycle at unexpected power down. It is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Meanwhile, my micros just don’t ever die. Even if they do, i can preconfigure
one, throw it in the mail, and it’s a five minute swap out.

My rationale for a standalone Linux box was manifold, but the crux was that not
all devices live on the internet constantly, and being able to pull databases
periodically and/or view it without WAN access seemed like a pretty reasonable
endeavor. I’m pretty over that. It’s a minuscule fraction of application cases
I can live without (or use GSM).

> [...]
>> it is often times a bleeding edge operating system, and things simply break.
>> LSB was non-functional for a period ... it has at many times simply been a
>> mess.
>>
>> For me, I do not need a local database. I push it to a cloud service (my own
>> servers, in this case), and handle it there, and serve it to anywhere on the
>> net. For this reason, the complexity of a Pi solution simply does not
>> outweigh the above issues.
>>
>> Now, you can get an ESP32, which has WiFi, 4MB flash, bluetooth, in a tiny
>> package, for $10. You can get one with a nice little oled display for $19.
>> You can get one with an sdcard and wired ethernet for $30. You can get
>> another version with 4MB more of program space via PSRAM for a little more.
>> You can get em with relays, IR transceivers, CAN, RS485 .. lots of things.
>> It's not quite as diverse as the arduino ecosystem, but it is getting there
>> for sure. Best, you can run micropython on it and avoid having to write any
>> C whatsoever. I ported a ton of code over from my Pi projects. Best of all,
>> it is rock solid. Mine reboots once an hour, stores data in a little json
>> file to pick up after it reboots, and loads config from a set of json files.
>> It posts to a web API, hosts its own web page for web-based config ... it's
>> just ... wonderful.
>>
>> Should probably contact me off-list if you want, as this is not germane to
>> OWFS, but happy to give you any info you like.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>>> On 2/20/2019 7:38 PM, joep wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>     To some extent this follows from thread: *Reliability and Robustness of
>>> the DS2482-100 or DS2482-800*
>>>     I've been using a couple of Raspberry Pi's (RPi 1 Model A+) to manage
>>> the temperature, humidity and lighting in a terrarium since 2014/2015. One
>>> Pi is in active use while the other is used as a development platform to
>>> try things out on. Overall I'm impressed by how much one can do without
>>> spending a fortune and I'm quite keen to explore further.
>>>     One thing which always bothered me with the Pi's is the SD card. I've
>>> had a few corruptions (all power supply related). Even with a clean and
>>> stable supply I am still doubtful if one can achieve "industrial grade"
>>> reliability if using SD cards. So I'm now looking for other microcontroller
>>> options to control my 1-wire based system as I'm intending to extend
>>> management to my greenhouses where reliability is more important.
>>>     Options I have looked at so far include the Arduino (Uno, Zero or DUE)
>>> and the ESP32. Haven't fully explored the latter but it seems to have an
>>> incredible number of interfaces. I'm quite impressed by the Arduino - it's
>>> simple, there's a big choice of units and it's easily extensible (with a
>>> lot of pre-built modules available). My design will involve power switching
>>> and (ideally) more than one 1-wire bus (so a DS2482-100 is likely to be
>>> involved). The system will also interface to my network for monitoring and