On 4 March 2010 15:35, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:

> The limitation is the speed of 5400 RPM drives. Neither FW nor eSATA in
> common laptop (2.5” enclosures) supply power, so you have to carry extra
> cables (power or USB) to power the thing, and you end up using a USB port as
> well.

I don't much care about the power issue.  Good drives take more than USB can
supply anyway, and a switchmode PSU is light and small.  (I'm assuming
you're going to be using 10k drives, if you limit it to 5400, you're just as
well off increasing the internal laptop drive.

> Unless you want to run VMs off this thing, just stick to USB 2.0 – it’s
> fine for copying typical office docs on/off and means you need just the one
> cable. And buying spare cables is easy and cheap.

Office docs I'd use a flashdrive for.  External drives I'm assuming running
VMs and using as a compiler target drive.  Just *try* doing this with USB.
:)

--
Meski

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure, you'll
get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills