Can I make the following observation. I'm from the UK and we
had similar legislation (IR39). From what you say personal tool and
insurances are covered as legit expenses. Doesn't that cover most thing that
you'd claim for anyway. Yes I understand that you cannot distribute profits
other than as taxable to you, but surely tools and insurance gives a
significant advantage over 'salary'.

Obviously you'd need an accountant, but I suspect that the company can
provide heath and 'key man' type insurances, as well as computers/software
as it sees fit.

In my particular case I was able to justify relatively high hardware and
software  costs by demonstrating that I worked at the cutting edge and
needed bleeding edge tools to make the business sustainable. In this case
many of the 'tools' that I bought were those that were used in one contract
only and then 'upgraded' to the later ones for later contracts.

--
regards,
Preet, Overlooking the Ocean, Auckland