>Election year anyone?

I was disappointed several years ago to learn that it's illegal to tell
people not to vote, and perhaps also to tell them to vote for the donkey or
to write your opinion of politicians on the ballot paper instead of ticking
the little boxes. I remember some TV host dipstick comedian girlie made
comments in this area, and on the following weeks show they had to make an
apology for what she said and explain the conundrum.

Although I don't think it's illegal to actually vote for the donkey or write
a poem on the ballot paper, because thanks to the anonymous system we have
they can't track the offender. I also think it's not illegal to be not
registered to vote.

I still have this dream of watching election night and the big tally boards
behind the presenters start racking up the numbers ... 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0.001%
0% 0.0023% 0% etc. I wonder if the Australian constitution could deal with
such a situation where almost no one made a valid vote.

Any legal experts in here? I know we have at least one who writes software
as well.