Yes, pretty much - VMs, future proofing - plus SQL server, LINQPad (which
can use a lot of RAM), Outlook  and several Visual Studio instances.

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com]
On Behalf Of Wallace Turner
Sent: Tuesday, 30 November 2010 10:50
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: [OT] Developer Laptop

out of curiosity, what programs are you running that use up 8 GB ram ?  VMs?
Or future proofing? (to a degree)

On 30/11/2010 8:13 AM, James Chapman-Smith wrote:

Hi folks,

I've been using a Dell XPS M1710 laptop now for the nearly the last 4 years.
It's been a good little beast and it still performs better than many of the
newer machines that I get lumbered with on some client sites.

It is now time for me to upgrade. Being a development machine I want good
graphics, lots of screen real estate (1920x1200 preferred) and memory
(12GB+).

I've initially looked at the latest Dell offering - the XPS 17
<http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/notebooks/xps-17/pd.aspx?refid=xps-17&s=
dhs&cs=audhs1&%7Eck=mn>  - it looks good, it can be configured with 16GB of
RAM, but it only has 1680x900 resolution. The XPS 15
<http://www1.ap.dell.com/au/en/home/notebooks/xps-15/pd.aspx?refid=xps-15&s=
dhs&cs=audhs1&%7Eck=mn>  offers 1920x1080 but has an 8GB RAM limit. The
other Dell offerings are getting old so I'd like to avoid them.

So it might be time to jump ship from Dell.

I'm looking for advice from my fellow devs on which laptop brands and/or
models are highly regarded. I'm happy to pay for quality.

What laptop can anyone recommend for my next dev machine?

Cheers.

James.