Folks, our customer needs a facility to generate reports via calendar
schedules and then distribute them to lists of email recipients.  For
example, on the first of each month, monthly summary reports with filtering
arguments for different customers and departments would be generated and
each would be emailed to one or more related people. They currently do this
by hand and it's a growing burden on the staff.

One of us discovered that SQL Server with Reporting Services
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159106.aspx>  (SSRS) seems to do
everything we need, so we upgraded to SQL Server Express with Advanced Tools
(and reporting) and ran some experiments to make RDL server-side reports and
use the web interface to publish and generate them. This all works, and we
got excited, but then discovered that subscription reports
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms155911(v=sql.90).aspx>  are not a
part of SQL Express editions, so we don't get the facility to schedule and
distribute reports unless our customer upgrades to the SQL Server Enterprise
edition which is about $27000 per processor.

So we have to tell the customer to buy SQL Server Enterprise and we learn
how to use SSRS, or we find some other way of creating the
subscription/schedule facility. Our current preference is for the latter if
there is a way of programmatically generating the RDL reports stored on the
server. If we can generate the reports, then we're quite happy to wrap it in
a scheduler (NCron, Quartz .NET, etc) and it's easy to send email
attachments. That way, SQL Server holds all the report definitions and data,
and our code schedules and distributes the reports.

Does anyone know if there is an API or service into SSRS to allow us to
generate the RDL reports?

Any other general comments on this matter would be welcome.

Cheers,