  From: Greg Keogh [mailto:g...@mira.net]
To: 'ozDotNet' [mailto:ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com]
Sent: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 09:29:22 +1100
Subject: [OT] Anti-Virus replacement for AVG

Folks, after much web browsing, discussion and head-scratching about a year ago
I picked AVG free edition over the dozens of choices. It seemed to have a good
reputation and it didn't seem too intrusive.

Since then, one friend with AVG free has had a machine infected 3 times,
another friend had 2 infections, and my wife's work machine got one hit. In
most cases I could go into safe mode, disable the infection registry entries
and then AVG would detect and clean the virus. One machine was so utterly
screwed twice that it had to be formatted each time. In all cases AVG was
disabled or deleted by the infection.

AVG seems to be worse than useless, so I'm wondering what AV product people
here recommend for home PC use and satisfies the following specs:

1. It actually stops viruses (no kidding?!?)
2. It's not too intrusive in the UI (banners, popups, tray icons, context
menus, etc)
3. It doesn't have side-effects (degrades performance, conflicts with other
apps, etc)

I reckon that asking for all of these things together is too much, but I might
find a compromise.

Cheers,