On 18/03/2011 9:03 AM, Chris Walsh wrote:

Microsoft Security Essentials works fine.

Like using 50% of processor when Thunderbird is open. YMMV, but I dumped this junk fast.
Matt

*From:*ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] *On Behalf Of *Greg Keogh
*Sent:* Friday, 18 March 2011 9:29 AM
*To:* 'ozDotNet'
*Subject:* [OT] Anti-Virus replacement for AVG

Folks, after much web browsing, discussion and head-scratching about a year ago I picked AVG free edition over the dozens of choices. It seemed to have a good reputation and it didn't seem too intrusive.

Since then, one friend with AVG free has had a machine infected 3 times, another friend had 2 infections, and my wife's work machine got one hit. In most cases I could go into safe mode, disable the infection registry entries and then AVG would detect and clean the virus. One machine was so utterly screwed twice that it had to be formatted each time. In all cases AVG was disabled or deleted by the infection.

AVG seems to be worse than useless, so I'm wondering what AV product people here recommend for home PC use and satisfies the following specs:

1. It actually stops viruses (no kidding?!?)

2. It's not too intrusive in the UI (banners, popups, tray icons, context menus, etc)

3. It doesn't have side-effects (degrades performance, conflicts with other apps, etc)

I reckon that asking for all of these things together is too much, but I might find a compromise.

Cheers,

 "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin