Market share really isn't the end game, having a browser being the most
popular was a curse/blessing in one. When they had it nobody in the company
had a clue on what to do with it all they knew was to increment its growth
was to do so very slowly given any breaking changes could end up hurting the
interweb (thus you see the IE6 to IE9 fail trajectory today). All they knew
was they had to do something quick and just like Gorillaz once wrote in a
song "caught up in the *conflict* / *between* his *brain* and his *tail" **is
how that saga played out - by the time the team figured out what to do with
it *market-share* tanked, Silverlight / XBAP was born and now its about
retreating back to the browser & try again.*
*
*
*The future of IE9 is to storm the script kiddy developer beach heads,
provoke HTML5 + AJAX war chants get everyone excited about the purity of
ACID compliance and 3D via Interweb then when everyone is lulled into a HTML
Utopian high ...boom goes the dynamite, out comes the forked Desktop Native
API friendly addons to IE thus enabling "Look mah, I can haz ur desktop app
with my script k3iddy er33tness JavaScript/HTML5 mass celebration of
mediocrity" then when that occurs queue the next iteration of what we see
today as WPF/Silverlight coming back in via a massive "We're sorry, check
out our new improved UX Platform" followed by the ye olde Microsoft Playbook
being resurrected again and again.*
*
*
Windows is thine name, I for one embrace my new Windows 8 Overlords. I
figure join the cult early that way you can build trust and get closer to
the ground zero of stupidity... come...follow me into the cloud for ye shall
see the foggy brilliance of what makes lemmings jump off cliffs!! :)

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes
http://www.riagenic.com