I've just been through an interesting exercise in helping the missus buy a
laptop. It's interesting because her previous one is a MacBook Pro and I've
never needed a laptop, so we're both relative newbies on the subject. I see
people in here talking about developer laptops in the $2000+ and far beyond
range, but I was shocked to see the high power and low price of laptops when
we wandered into JB Southland last Saturday to check out their sale. Things
have changed in the 10 years!

There were 6 DELL laptops lined-up on display from $599 to $1699. Only the
5th one had the full HD screen with a beautiful "creamy" smooth look, so I
told her to buy that one. This Studio 1558 has 6GB RAM, 600GB HDD, i7 and
heaps of plugs and devices I haven't even figured out what they do yet. I
don't know what the battery life is like yet.

I've even "stolen" a piece of it by creating a VS2010 development
environment in VM Player so I can borrow when I go out for a meeting next
week.

I get the impression the Studio series is for home users, but it's so
powerful that it can easily be used for development. Which leads me to ask
what major differences are there between the DELL Studio and laptops that
people in here consider suitable for development? Is it ruggedness, weight,
battery life, warranty and repairs, or what? What do ThinkPads have over the
Studio series?

I plan to get a laptop within a few months, so I want to be sure I'm looking
at the right sort of brand and series for the right reasons. General
comments would be welcome.