On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Greg Keogh <g...@mira.net> wrote:
> I tried using the cable that came in the DELL box and it has made everything
> sharp and lovely. I noticed the cable has a different label on the end with
> fat embossed letters “DUAL LINK”. So there’s a trap!
>

> Thank heavens lots of modern apps like VS2008, Internet Explorer, Word,
> Excel, etc recognise Ctrl + Mouse wheel to zoom in and out. The default
> appearance of most apps is crisp but tiny on the U2711.
>

> I think there’s a lesson in this for people writing new apps to make sure
> users can adjust display settings easily. I’m certainly going to put extra
> effort into some new WPF apps I’m working on to allow rapid zoom of
> important screens, which is luckily quite easy thanks to transforms.

Yes.  Also, if your app remembers display settings, make sure it
checks to see that a display is there when it starts up.

EXAMPLE:  I have 2 extra displays connected to a laptop.  An app
'remembers' the location of dialogs as being on LH exterior display.
Next time I start the app, it doesn't have any external displays, but
still puts the dialog on the missing display.   It's possible to move
dialogs in this situation, but talking an inexperienced user through
it is a waste of support's time.

And don't put dialogs behind the app window.  Or across joins in monitors.

</rant>

--
Meski

 http://courteous.ly/aAOZcv

"Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. Sure,
you'll get it, but it's going to be rough" - Adam Hills