Chris

That is the most informative response I have seen - I (for one) appreciate
it. You have described what I suspected were the technical problems behind
the decisions on WP8's new start in the smartphone business.

Bill McCarthy obviously (imo) has some valid arguments about the evolution
of WP since mid-2011 Mango timeframe, and compares Apple's / Google's
upgrade planning. What happens will happen. I'd like to WP8 succeed.

A few weeks ago I inferred that I thought the Lumia 900 was an advance on
the 800, but still underpowered and had less than optimum screen resolution
(or, at least I think I did; I haven't looked for the evidence). Bill McC
who owns a Lumia 800 mildly chastised me, rightly pointing out that it was
better than the desktop screens (RGB, etc) that we had a few years back. But
I hate these small screens with inadequate resolution for my eyesight.

And the trivial "apps" - lumping phone + tablet together here. If I want
info from IMDB on a movie or its participants, I don't want a summary of
this week's box office successes, and other superficial fast food approaches
to data or opinion. Admittedly I've seen less than a hundred iPad apps, but
enough for me to be unimpressed by the median quality of the other 250K that
are available.

Actually - and hindsight is a great convenience if not a wonderful thing -
I've had the lingering discomfort that all of the WP hardware used by the
manufacturers of Windows Phones has been lagging or lacking. But that
depends on what you want in a smartphone, of course.

I don't really know what I want in one - I use my non-smart mobile phone for
voice and SMS only (and not for data), and really dislike my Sony Ericsson
W508a (freed from Telstra but with its highly-modified menus and links to
useless stuff. And it PC to phone software is the worst I have encountered.

But when a decent Windows Phone catches my imagination, I might buy and use
it. Maybe I want a tablet/slate instead? I'm attracted to the Windows
Surface as a tablet<--> PC, add Skype, and maybe I would dump my mobile
account entirely.

Ian Thomas
Victoria Park, Western Australia