As far as I am aware, and coming from a time when we didn't have
optimisers. All parts are evaluated

A part, in the case of a case else is is the statement as a whole.

Select * from t where Id = 3 and date > 1997

Without the optimiser,   It does

Date > 1997
Id = 3
Select *

With the optimiser it does
Id =3
Date > 1997
Select *

The example provided I have no idea which the optimiser thinks is more
performant, the point being you can't write standard logic in SQL,
all parts are executed.  A select case is a special construct to get
around the problems.

I would not like to do the convert date on a string of characters over
and over any way. Are all these dates stored in the same way?

Davy

Sent via telegraph.