Exactly... I know for my own hobby projects I like to trial new
technologies, so I can get a feel for them, and learn the in's and
out's of them.
And more than once I have rewritten one in a new technology for no
other purpose than to familiarize myself with it.

I do admit that I quite like the MVC platform, and I find it supports
TDD much better. And I naturally gravitate to Web API over WCF (which
I feel is overly complicated for normal web-services).

When it comes to commercial projects, the opposite is true; I try to
keep it stable and conservative, and I'd select WCF over Web API due
to the difference in maturity.