Katherine, from what I understand you are vision-impaired? I can understand
that braces would quickly become a problem for you. Maybe you could look
into a language like F# which uses tabs for nesting rather than braces.
There would be a learning curve but that may be worthwhile in the long
term. Other alternatives are Ruby and Coffeescript - Coffeescript may be a
good start as you may be able to leverage that in to developing
Javascript-based Windows 8 apps.

Other than that I would recommend just making sure each brace is on a new
line so that you can see the nesting. It is tempting to cram as much on
each line but in the long run spreading it out makes it much easier to
maintain. Also use a brace whenever you can, so no shortcuts like:

if (something) Foo();

Instead always do:

if (something)
{