This must be the most divergent tangent from the original topic, but here goes:

It is not related to HTML support (would that have changed, I wonder?) but my
guess is that it is because the legacy 3rd-party add-ins for Office would be
largely VBA add-ins or perhaps C++ COM add ins (not ever written as .NET with
the aid of the PIAs for the various Office releases). Meski’s short response
was sufficient explanation.

It is hard to move forward when you are forced to support quite old legacy
applications.

If some small business or individual is used to running (for example) an
Outlook add-in from 4Team, which may have been updated to support Outlook 97
through to Outlook 2013 – but not the 64-bit versions of Office - then what
would you expect Microsoft (or software publisher X – eg, Apple) to do?

In my view, it would be helpful to suggest that the 32-bit version may be
preferable, if that is what Microsoft recommends somewhere.

Those with more technical advice or knowledge would make a judgement whether
the 64-bit version of say Excel might be better suited for their use - perhaps
to support huge spreadsheets? But many users would be pleased enough with
32-bit versions.

I’m not sure what you mean by stupid HTML crap. Do you mean XML-based object
model in the .docx, .xlsx (etc) file formats? Personally, I wouldn’t complain
about Microsoft’s ,NET support for Office development, in the 2009 to 1013 time
frame. I think it’s pretty good.

  _____

Ian Thomas
Victoria Park, Western Australia