http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/2006/04/07/570798.aspx - the post on
the most used commands in Office

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Ken Schaefer
Sent: Monday, 13 May 2013 5:17 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: RE: Is Surface really failing? (tangent # 99)

a)      Threaded comments are a killer feature for me, and auto-object spacing
in Visio. I guess one person’s killer feature is another person’s ‘meh’. I’m
sure that Jensen Harris posted some usage stats from Office 2003 that showed
that beyond the first 10 or so features, the next 100 are only used by 1-2% of
the population, but different 1%s, so eliminating a feature isn’t really
possible

b)      In terms of surfacing features to the user, the Ribbon is pretty good.
Much better and scalable than the toolbars, menus, task panes and all the other
stuff that pre-dated it. I’m pretty sure Jensen also had some graphs showing
the growth in features (and the concurrent increase in toolbars etc and how
unsustainable it was going to be)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/2008/03/12/table-of-contents.aspx makes
for fascinating reading (showing the depth of analysis and work that went into
rethinking the UI)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/jensenh/archive/2006/04/04/568249.aspx feature bloat in
Office

Cheers