Pluralsight Courses: http://bit.ly/psjasonroberts

From: Scott Barnes
Sent: ‎Monday‎, ‎23‎ ‎September‎ ‎2013 ‎7‎:‎12‎ ‎AM
To: ozDotNet

I'm using Unity3D but not for Games, more to do with Enterprise
Visualisation(s). I did write my own Voxel Engine + Custom Occlusion Culling
(https://vimeo.com/71330826)  though so I can say I know enough about Unity3D
to be dangerous :D

RE: Game Store options.

You're not limited by just publishing your game on Windows 8 / Wp8 You can use
the same code (sort of) for Android/iPhone aswell given it has its own
publishing approach per platform. I say sort of bare in mind your code is
likely to have IF/ELSE statements for anything Windows 8 / Wp8 related as
opposed to Android/OSX/Windows/Blackberry/iPhone (which pisses me off given the
one platform which actually has the easiest developer story is the one that
adds the most friction in Unity - go figure).

Assuming you're happy for ye olde #IF Windows8 style syntax sprinkled in your
Mono C# code you'll be good to go (also keep an eye on the compatibility matrix
for other API level issues and differences between Windows 8 and Windows Phone
8 and then after that the rest).

RE: Tooling.

You can use Visual Studio 2012 with Unity if you download the UnityVS plugin
(third party) for VS. It allows you to debug in Visual Studio etc so you'll be
back at home soon enough although bare in mind debugging is a bit of a hit and
miss the bigger the solution becomes and at times your first pass on fields
will only occur once (ie if you are debugging a particular property and you
collapse the hierarchy then go back the value becomes undefined). You can also
use Xamarin Studio or Mono Develop edition (comes with Unity native) but
overall C# coders won't find any issue other then the fact Intelli-sense
doesn't work as with most Non-VS IDE's.

RE: Learning Curve.

- The 2D system inside Unity3D is not great, in that you're always in 3D (much
like WPF) but you're probably going to want to adopt some framework like
NoesisUI (XAML) or ScaleForm (Flash UI) to handle most of the heavy lifting.
Unity are working on the 2D UI story and are likely to give that out in future
releases but at the moment its kind of build your own from the ground up.

- The 2D Arcade mechanics are much easier now with the latest release than they
were before given it will handle a lot of the 2D rigid body manipulation for
you (see their latest videos). So if the game style you're working on is that
then yay! its easier today.

- The 3D animation / state machine style manipulation (using Mecanim) is
amazingly good (even has the new AutoDesk HumanIK baked in). So if your game is
a FPS etc then the hardest part you have to do is figure out what are some
basic animations and how detailed you want your models (lighting etc ). You can
also re-use the animations for other models as well (ie Male walking can be
used for a dwarf walking as well via the new Mecanim system).

- If you have a static open world, whereby you want to manually place objects
in your world etc (not via procedural code) then you can also get free
Occlusion Culling  via its bake system (ie you place everything you want on
stage, select all objects, bake them and presto you get auto culling when the
camera's not looking thus saving your GPU / FPS for free - as in beer).

- SDK's etc in C# are pretty basic, normal approach you would use with any DLL
out there. Just figure out what you want to do and write the code but keep in
mind you're dealing with a subset of Mono itself and if you choose to introduce
3rd party DLL's be mindful that they also have to be written in Mono if you
want to drag them into the iPhone/Android/OSX world.

- Remember Vertex count trumps polygon count. At the end of the day Polygons
are a great for helping modellers keep track of their budgets etc but in
Unity3d each GameObject has a limit of 64k in memory of vertex's to be used
with GPU. GameObjects are essentially just FrameworkElement you see today in
WPF, placeholder  object classes that you build up from. In other 3d Tools
these are "Null" objects meaning they have no visual appearance.

- You also attach behaviours / effects to them so the whole point behind Unity
is that it uses a decorator style pattern in that make additive additions to
GameObjects (camera control, movement behaviour and so on).

It really depends at the end of the day what you want to do and how you go
about it (ping me offline or on here for others to learn from) and I can give
you more specific pointers as Unity3D is more of an actual 2D/3D rendering
pipeline then it is just a "game creator" so there is so much built into this
product its simply amazing.

The hardest part of my learning curve was wrapping my head around how it
handles the GPU rendering, in that with XNA and OpenGL etc you have a lot of
finite control over how things are pumped into the GPU Buffer(s) but in Unity3D
its heavily automated for you. You can still manipulate this at the lowest
point of abstraction between you can the abstraction layer and that for me was
good enough. Beyond that you'll have to crack open your C++ skills and go
deeper into that realm.

You can easily make Angry Birds with this thing and not break a sweat (other
than the actual 2D designs). You could in theory even get pretty close to GTA5
with this thing aswell, but that would be a massive undertaking and lastly you
could build Minecraft with this engine but bettter gfx! :).

---
Regards,
Scott Barnes
http://www.riagenic.com