On 13 November 2013 15:24, Ken Schaefer <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:

>  Half of what you’re talking about (aka the charges) are a simple
> financial construct that can be changed at any time.

[ ... ]

> You guys are arguing about little short-term implementation details in an
> infrastructure project that’s supposed to last 50+ years. Sure things could
> potentially be improved. But that’s not seeing the forest for the trees.

That's a lot of handwaving justify something that every person in the ISP
industry today thinks is a bad idea. You're applying wishful thinking about
some time down the future that they'll drop fees based on some 'vibe' or
whatever about some future election. It is a big call to brush off the
documented business plan and industry opinion in front of you today as a
short-term implementation detail.

>  If we argued like this about the copper network, it would never, ever
> have been built. The enormous benefits that widespread internet access has
> provided to society would never, ever have been factored into the “business
> case” for the copper network – because the internet didn’t even exist at
> the time. So, we should not have bothered building that network? That would
> have been a stupid decision.

Your reasoning is arse about and argument from analogy anyway. The phone
network was built in response to a clear need and justified its own
existence in the day (i.e. phone call vs 2 days on steam train or weeks at
sea in a steamer or sending telegrams about the war, getting help after a
bushfire/disaster, etc are all clear drivers that justified it). Phones in
the 1800s doesn't inform us about artificial charges that limit Internet
use today.

You and Tony are the first people I have met who think that CVC is a good
idea or somehow normal or okay compared with what we have today. It is a
monumental step backward and something that every industry figure and
company calls out as such ... and with that, I don't think I have anything
else I can add to this thread.

David.