From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of GregAtGregLowDotCom
Sent: Thursday, 12 December 2013 4:38 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: RE: NBN Petition

If you were trying to run a commercial business based on rolling out an NBN,
where would you start? Would it really be the back of Ballarat and Tamworth or
would you roll it out in high-density areas in Sydney/Melbourne that are
already screaming for it? A political or public service might do the former
when they are spending other peoples' money. A business would do the latter.

I guess it would depend on a lot of things. I'm not an expert on rolling out
telecoms infrastructure, but I guess I'd need to ensure that I had good
information and processes first, so starting in less complex areas might make
sense.

Secondly, I guess it isn't cheap cabling older apartment blocks in inner-city
Sydney - they were built in the 1920s through 1970s, and probably have no
Ethernet cabling in the building. The cost of retrofitting these buildings even
just for HFC has meant that the majority aren't connected.

If I was also mandated to cover everyone in the country, then I'd be covering
all the new greenfields sites, so that they aren't reworked.

>From what I understand, it isn't just sites in Tamworth that are being
>covered, but some in metropolitan areas as well.

I guess, if this was a commercial operation, it would be done differently. But
I don't know the whole picture (and I doubt you do either). And as I said
before, we may have to accept some compromises. If each one of us had our own
caveats on providing our support for this project based  on implementation
details, nothing would be done. You're insisting on more commercial savvy, and
the next person will insist that the priority should be those people who don't
have access to any comparable technology (i.e. all those on RIMs and pair-gain
and whatnot that can't get ADSL2/ADSL today)

Cheers
Ken