From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of GregAtGregLowDotCom
Sent: Thursday, 12 December 2013 3:51 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: RE: NBN Petition

"not going to be there in my working life" might not be the words you're
looking for but the point is that it was going to take such a long time as to
nearly be irrelevant to me.

OK - are you only planning to be alive for the next 10 years? If you're
planning to be alive for more than 10 years, the I don't see how it can be
irrelevant. Because a project like this will change the way everyone else
(people and business) are going to be doing things. And if you have kids, or
your siblings have kids, well then you might want to start caring, because it
will have a change on the way they live their lives too.

Your attitude is similar to saying "we don't have to worry about climate
change, because it won't have a significant impact in my lifetime". Sure. But
you might be f*cking up the lives of the next generation by not caring, and
from a civics PoV, I'd like to think that intelligent human beings would take
an interest in things where their actions (or lack of such) today, are going to
potentially have a significant impact down the track. Putting this off because
"they take a long time" is simply a recipe for never doing anything significant.

My key point is that if you were rolling this out on a commercial basis, you
wouldn't do it the way they were doing it.

How do you know they aren't?

A commercial organisation would be looking to quickly generate income from
areas that want it.

Surely revenue is one side of a double-sided coin? You need to look at costs as
well. For example, I can understand prioritising new greenfields sites -
because the alternative is laying copper now, and then replacing it with fibre
in the next 5-10 years. That would dramatically increase costs. Some of the
more commercially lucrative sites (e.g. inner city Sydney/Melbourne) might also
be some of the most costly to implement, due to older buildings, records and
facilities.

I agree that some of this is politically driven, but as I said before, there is
going to have to be some level of compromise.

Cheers
Ken