Folks, I have a Silverlight Phone app that talks to a WCF service. The spec
says that phones must *prove* to the service that they are legitimate and
trusted. I figure therefore that I will stuff something in the message
headers of each call that can't be forged to prove a phone has legitimate
client software ... but what?

The spec is vague and does not specify any kind of "login" method or
handshake to establish trust.

To confuse matters, I've been given a pair of X509 certificates (as cer and
pfx files) without any hint about what to do with them. So I've been
reading about X509's for hours, but I can't figure out if they're of any
help in this situation or not. All the sample code I've found using
certificates is for the full CLR and not for the Silverlight CLR where many
classes are smaller or missing. I can't figure out how to use X509s for
solving my problem (if they are of any use).

Any suggestions from crypto protocol boffins out there?

*Greg K*