Howdy, I've been thinking about this overnight and have had no Eureka!
moment. I do have the factory ID of the phone, but I think registering the
IDs on the server would be a bother (in any case, a fake client could send
any ID it wanted to fool the server).

The client and server both have the same confidential company certificate,
but I don't know how I can leverage this. The client could send the server
some secret data out of the cert, but it's just a number, any magic/secret
number could be shared, which is childish.

So I remain puzzled about how an arbitrary phone can prove to the service
that it's calling via trusted client software without human entry of a PIN
or password.

The phone does have a config screen, so perhaps the human operator could be
instructed to put in a 4 digit "hash" of the phone ID, which can only be
computed and verified on the server. This would require a one-time setup
process, but it might be acceptable in the form of a "registration screen"
on the phone.

*Greg K*