Hey Greg

In the past I've handed the Silverlight xap file something random (lets
call it a key to get in) in the init parameters. The client then gives that
back to the WCF service as proof that the Xap file was launched by a known
web server. You could renew it periodically or let it run for that session
and next time it runs it gets a different key. I'm sure there are other
ways but this one skips the whole log in requirement. You could also use
standard web authentication before they get to the Silverlight page too so
the user would have to log in before getting a key/Xap.

YMMV

cheers
Stephen
p.s. you could also give back the spec (for more clarification) and tell
them its too vague, but I know that that's not always an option.