One alternative that I haven't looked into much at all, so take this with a
grain of salt - is to have anything identifying on a local network,
firewalled, and accessible via a site-to-site VPN connection to an Azure
hosted server.  Like I said, I haven't looked at what an implementation
would take, but if you could create a firewalled, safe, tunnel to your data
hosted on prem, and other data in the cloud - then it's an option?

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/virtual-networks-create-site-to-site-cross-premises-connectivity/