Here's a TGIF story that hints at a deep technical and business/culture
problem with Android phones and Google. I don't think this problem is so
bad on other phone brands, is it?

* Last December I downloaded several app updates to my "unbranded"
development Nexus 5 and I didn't read (or understand) one of the screens
and I accidentally downloaded a complete OS update and blew $135 in 30
seconds because I wasn't at home on the wireless. I had to ring Telstra and
beg them for a discount, and luckily they gave me a $100 discount because I
had never exceeded quota before. After rebooting the phone I find it has
completely changed appearance to be "materiel design" and I can't find
anything, and some buttons have turned into little "darts" leaving me
floundering to even figure out how to send an SMS.

* Two weeks ago I wanted to show some family photos on my phone to a
friend. I click the usual "Photos" icon I'm presented with an unfamiliar
incomprehensible screen about synching and Google+ apps. I don't have time
to read this woffle, so I click crap everywhere to get out of it and back
to my photos. I eventually arrive at the photos and find they have a new
arrangement by date group, scroll differently and the older ones I want are
missing. I scroll and click until hell froze but I could not find the
photos and I was livid with rage that someone had subverted my phone from
under my nose. The next day I stick the phone into my PC and eventually
found the photos, and I also found an obscure "Data Folders" menu I
previously missed that displays the old photos. After an hour of web
searching I could not find a clear explanation for what had changed. It has
something to do with the default photo app changing to Google+ (which I
don't even voluntarily use).

* One week ago I tried to take some photos at a concert and I suddenly find
the camera app has completely changed with little preview "dots" and a
weird 3D warping preview and I have no idea what the screen is showing or
telling me. Once again I don't have time to sit down and fiddle around with
menus and buttons to find the original phone screen, so I guess it's
working and I press the button and it looks like it's taking photos. When I
get home I discover I have taken no photos at all, but was actually inside
some sort of panorama feature that I don't care about or need. By fiddling
with the new camera screen menus I eventually find it has 4 "modes" and one
of them is the plain camera. So this vital app changed under my nose and
the default was something useless and confusing.

You'd think the UI of a phone would be easy to navigate, but after having
it for 18 months I still get completely lost trying to find some setting
and often stumble into screens that I've never seen before and are
incomprehensible (either because I never went there before or the OS or
app has silently changed). The other day I was so f**ing angry with the
phone's UI and navigation that I threw it across my desk, and it popped
into a configuration screen I didn't know existed. Wonders never cease!

Okay, so what the hell is happening in the Android phone world. Who's
running this circus and who the hell has the right to completely change the
OS and UI of vital apps secretly while I'm looking the other way? Imagine
if they built aircraft like this ...who'd fly?

*Greg K*