Folks, just a heads-up ... I was looking for a way of auto-generating Web
API documentation and I found THIS
<http://www.asp.net/web-api/overview/getting-started-with-aspnet-web-api/creating-api-help-pages>
from 2013, and there are similar articles all over the place, all a bit
old. The advice on getting it going works after you add the Nuget package
and make the tweaks. However:

   - I had to manually alter the package code to read and merge multiple
   xmldoc files.
   - I cannot get the Request Formats to say anything but "Sample not
   available".
   - I cannot get the Additional Information column to display anything
   because my entity classes are in a portable library and can't have
   attributes applied to them.
   - All standard xmldoc tags in your comments are stripped back to empty
   strings in the web API help, meaning you can't have both API help and
   Sandcastle help for the same code with nice formatting and links.
   - Instructions on how to style the API help no longer work and it's all
   dull black and white.


So for simple API help it works, but the moment you want to customise or
enhance anything it all goes to hell. I've wasted up to 4 solid hours
trying to workaround all of the irritations I described. It's like someone
had a great idea with this, but coded it like a high school project.

Perhaps there are better tools, but a quick look at Swagger hints that you
have to write almost all of the documentation and samples manually as JSON.

*GK*

Reply via email to