>> Overall, it's a great idea, but it's barely usable.

Well I wouldn’t go that far. It works pretty well for us without a lot of work.
New controllers generate new tabs with action lists, summaries, samples etc. We
haven’t had that much issues with it. The ApiExplorer we found quite suitable,
and once we accepted that after customisation, we just own it. All is good.

Each to their own I guess. There are actually plenty of documentation
alternatives out there. Swagger (http://swagger.io/) is a popular choice. We
adopted the Api help package quite some time ago though so are sticking with
that (remember WcfWebServices?)

-          Glav