AFAIK not much has changed. I've been out of the area for a while too.

Start with web api and only go to wcf if web api is insufficient which I
doubt it will be.

DB side can depend on many things as you know like if you have an existing
db you need to use, who manages the db (dba?), amount of data, more reads
or more writes, table structure, etc. Azure SQL or (unlikely) another Azure
storage mechanism may be an options.