In the enterprise space, technology is 10% of the cost, and people/process is
the other 90%.

BUs might go to random cloud providers, because they don’t understand the
implications, or they just outsource the work to some agency. But for an
enterprise platform, we have the whole gamut of considerations – probably helps
if you use a framework like ITIL:

  *   Demand management
  *   Financial management
  *   Service Level management
  *   Service request management
  *   Information security management
  *   Capacity, performance, availability management
  *   Deployment
  *   Change, incident, problem
  *   Knowledge management
  *   Access management
Etc.

For each, we need to develop the end-to-end requirements, and then the
processes. They have to be integrated into the existing tools, frameworks,
policies and standards. If we have an existing enterprise info sec standard,
and access management technology (probably not MS based in a large enterprise),
then this new “add on” needs to integrate into this, or we need to build a
bridge. We might save $100K/year on SQL Server licensing and hosting, but if it
costs $1m to implement the bridge, then the business will prefer to spend that
money on things that give a more immediate return – like Android Pay or
something.