As a .Net programmer, if you detest Javascript (as I do), you can also use
F# and Fable to write single page web-applications. It won't save you from
the vagaries of HTML and CSS though - you still need to know this.
I personally use Elm (which is similar to F# + Fable) - but it's far more
bullet-proof (run-time errors are exceptionally rare), although you're no
longer in the Microsoft eco-system (for better or worse).

If you're writing web-applications for a company though, I still think
Angular or React is the easier sell to management; yes it's more complex,
more clunky, and will take longer to write - but at least finding other
Angular or React resources is fairly trivial.