May as well have taken that $11 billion and made a big pile of money and
burnt it all. What a financially incompetent move.

When you replace your modem you don't choose the same modem or even one
that is only a touch better than what you have, you get rid of your draft n
modem and replace it with an ac modem. The only thing they ended up
promising was the same speed that you could already get from adsl2. What a
disgrace.

Now, back to Greg's comment. I actually agree that it should have been a
nation building project. Done one, done right.

In Thailand there could be 100 fttp providers, but the consequence of that
is that there are thousands of fibre cables hanging off power lines in a
huge mess. Such is pure capitalism, where anyone is allowed to provide that
service.

In Vietnam, they have 3 providers, but they still have 100s of fibre cables
neatly bundled again hanging oft power lines.

When the fttp values were being installed, and they said that they'd passed
1000 homes but only connected 16, that is simply because homes had over a
year to switch over.

The nbn at the time was running 6 months behind.

In my area, I was scheduled to receive nbn about a month after nbn 1 was
cancelled. I believe that would have happened 6 months later, as I had seen
the cabling being installed in Carlton  just down the road.

That was almost 3 years ago. Now, instead, they want to install hfc. Hfc so
far has failed. They have delayed the install because everyone that has
switched over had substandard failing nbn. Thanks to Liberal incompetence.

It's an absolute disaster of Turnbulls making and it makes me mad. I would
have had pure nbn about 2 years ago, and now look at the state of things.

My only respite is that I have existing 10 year old Telstra cable that
provides me with 114Mbps download and 2Mbps upload.

This should be seen for what it is - an absolute failure of the Liberal
Party policy.

On 5 Jan 2018 9:30 PM, "David Connors" <da...@connors.com> wrote:

On Fri., 5 Jan. 2018, 8:51 pm Ken Schaefer, <k...@adopenstatic.com> wrote:

> Are you being deliberately obtuse? In 2011 (per you link), NBN was going
> to be fibre-to-the-premise. There was no technical need to buy any HFC or
> copper, and as you say, compensation was for destroying an existing
> business model.

That's right however when the second definitive agreement was negotiated
the $11bln price stated the same, hence the price of the HFC and CAN were
$0.

David

> --
David Connors