In a message dated 6/11/02 9:21:28 AM W. Australia Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I know that there is also alternative research on cosleeping which I should try and track down, but are there any thoughts from the wise women of this list as to how to approach the current recommendations on SIDS?

In The Austrlain today:

Peter Fleming (who was instrumental in the "Back to Sleep" campaign in th UK) quoted as saying that mothers can safely sleep with their baby in the first few months, possibly enhancing the child's development as there is no significant risk of cot death to babies who slept in the same baby as their mother.  However, where mothers smoke and sleep with their baby, there is a significant increase risk.  Also babies placed in another room were also at a greater risk.

Certainly, in the UK, it is now suggested that babies share their parents' room for the first 6 months (I think), and, providing parents don't drink or do drugs can co-sleep.

Debbie Slater
Perth, WA