-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Marilyn
Kleidon
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 11:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] inverted uterus

I don't think uteruses or perineums pick the race either. However if by some
chance there really is  a higher rate of uterine inversion and/or perineal
tearing in Asian women, then I think we should ask why? Too easy (not to
mention wrong) to blame it on race when it is most likely their
obstetric/midwifery care. I would hazard a guess that if there is a higher
rate then it may have something to do with language and communication with
the women in 2nd and 3rd stage. As a midwifery student I was present at a
few births where the mum did not speak or understand any english and the dad
very little either. We tried to mime gentle pushes to guide the mum but
often (not always) she would get that overwhelming urge to push and quite
literally blast her little baby out. She would consequently (I think) have
at least a small 2nd degree. I think continuity of care throughout pregnancy
and labour would go a long way to avoiding such situations in labour, at
least giving the midwife and mother time to access translation services
before hand. Marilyn