Hi Rhonda.  Another amazing animal birth experience for you.  I was in the garden when the dog started barking. On investigation it was a bob tail lizard (much like a blue tongue) I thought it had been injured because the back end looked injured or deformed, and it could hardly move. On closer inspection I realised it was a small tail hanging out and obviously it was starting to rot because of the smell.Normally you can't get close because they defend themselves with mouth open and teeth showing. I grabbed a glove (incase of being bitten) and held the goanna, all the time talking to it and gently pulling on the protruding tail.  It took some effort and I was scared I would kill the goanna (and invert the uterus??) Eventually out came a 12cm fully formed but dead baby goanna.  I let go of the Mother and then put the rotting body back into the bush next door.  The mother then scuttled quite quickly to where I had put the body about 20 metres from her.  We then found tracks from that bush that showed the mother dragging the tail so she had actually sought us out for help.  Amazing. If we hadn't seen it personally we wouldn't have believed it, and also, I thought these goannas laid eggs... You learn something new everyday!----- Original Message -----
From: Rhonda
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] too hard to breastfeed

Marilyn,

What is organic milk?
Just to share a story with you...I thought you might like.
When I fell pregnant with my second baby I was milking my own cow and we had
our own lovely fresh milk.
Just to fill you in on what happpened -
 this cow was calving and I had noticed her earlier in
the day.  I went to check and she seemed to be having problems.
I went over to her speaking gently - she had NEVER been touched by
us/or anyone before.  So i thought she may run away.
She came to me and let me put a makeshift rope around her neck.
I patted her and tied her to a tree.  I then had the job of turning the calf who
had presented wrong and was lodged.  This involves getting in there up to the
elbows at least and finding where the bones are stuck and phyisically turning it.
Not an easy job on my own.  The cow generally drops at this pioint and it is worse
because they are then on their side and you have to lift the hip bone off and pull,
and twist all at the same time.
Calf tied to 4 wheel motor bike - "moderate traction!" you could say!
I eventually pulled it out.  Unfortunately, it was dead, they only last about 20mins once stuck.

All the time I was in labour with my baby i thought of this poor cow and how she had
trusted me to help her and how I had been kinder and nicer to that cow than the
doctors were being to me.  I reassured her and comforted her.  They did not have
a nice word to say to me and I was so confused, still am, by this horrid treatment.

I then went and untied her and she licked my arms (which had been covered in membrane
and such).  I gave her anti inflamatory injection, a calcium drip and some grass and water.
The next day I went to see her and she came to me and sidled up for me to milk her.
I milked her onto the ground and she stood.  I then trained her to come and be milked
morning and night.
She would walk between me and anything/anyone else in the paddock.
I milked her for well over 6 months but as I got bigger with my baby it became
hard to do so i sent her back out to the rest of the cows.
She still comes to me 4 yrs latter, has had other beautiful calves and has
never had a problem again.
So nature really is wonderful and I can only say that was the best milk!
PS: I was not offended or upset it is all just fascinating - genetics,
intervention, moral dilemas etc etc.

Regards
Rhonda