Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] workshops

Hi Joy
I will be speaking informally to mums with bubs only at 2.30pm after a babies GymbarOO class on the afternoon of 26 Sept (just in case later nights arent easy and it can be more specifically to needs of newer mums) This is no charge and wont be promoted openly, although if you know some mums who would like to attend this will be fine.

I am giving an evening talk 'Parenting By Heart' - at 7.30 pm. -Venue :CWA hall, 561 Kiewa St. Albury (next to council building).
The blurb is :

Pinky McKay, author of the popular Parenting By Heart and 100 Ways to Calm the Crying - the ONLY Australian book about infant  crying (with a foreword by Sheila Kitzinger) - will be visiting Albury on 26 Sept.

Pinky offers a gentle perspective on parenting, without power struggles. She is passionate about how the prevalence of methods such as controlled crying and behaviour management can have adverse affects on both the parent/ child relationship, infant health and well-being, and parental confidence.

She says, "at any age, parent/child relationships should be based on mutual respect and trust, rather than issues of control , yet power struggles are beginning with infants as young as just a few weeks old over basic needs such as feeding and sleeping."

Pinky's stance against practices such as controlled crying and parent directed feeding  is based on emerging evidence that these practices can be associated with:

*Failure to thrive,
*infant depression,
*changes to the physiology of the brain that may predispose children to stress disorders such as panic, anxiety and depression in later life.

Pinky will be speaking to parents  at Albury GymbaROO centre 7.30 pm Thursday 26 Sept.Her talk "Parenting By Heart" will encourage parents to take charge by becoming informed, then listening to their child and trusting their own instincts, rather than handing over their power to a myriad of expert advice which may be confusing, or irrelevant to an individual situation.

Cost $5 - bookings PH> Helen - (02) 6024 4464