Sent: Monday, October 28, 2002 10:21 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Birth ads

Hi Liz,

I am a trained advertising copywriter (I have done weekend workshops with some of the top creative directors in Melbourne -with a two year old on my breast - most of these guys were more familiar with the association between breasts and fast cars!) - Yes I can help - my time is very limited but I can take on small chunks and am happy to pass on contacts.

I was invited on GMA for an interview this doesnt cost at all -although they have a system where you can pay $3000 for an interview -I have costings for ads in an elusive notebook - they charge per state on a sliding scale so a national ad is a multiple of state prices - Sydney is more expensive with WA and Q less expensive, but around $200 per state per 30 second ad -  Birthing is a non commercial issue but we need something to pin it on - they arent a current affair show so wont be involved in politics and probably like to think they are not having rabid "birth nazis" on their show. I reckon we could get Nic and Vicki on if GMA was simply sent a copy of their video with a good press release and followup. I am happy to talk to the producer if they are happy to be interviewed!!! They will get about 3 minutes if it comes off - better than 30 seconds!!

Then if this comes off - any money raised / sponsorship for an ad can be put towards an ad - TWO bites of the cherry!

Do you want me to go ahead and contact the producer? -Vicki are you ready for an interview re midwifery and your and Nics work helping women enjoy birth in this technological age - I think a fairly 'mainstream' approach would be all you will get on Bert - he is a nice interviewer but conservative and wouldnt be out to create controversy  -his women producers are older first time mothers who were probably epiduralled then back to work quite early. The In Union video footage would be a lovely reinforcer for a piece highlighting NMAP and womens choices/the benefits of having your 'own' midwife - not necessarily at home -(Slide all that in sideways around an interview about the video if that is the only way to get it on)  - To get on TV/ in the media - it needs to affect a majority or be sensational (ie ACA who only want sensation and edit/ alter the context of anything said during a pre-recorded interview).

It also helps to have a website to refer women to for further info.

Pinky