hello midwives,
I'm a midwifery student at RMIT in Melbourne (postgrad nursing, dare I say it!) and
almost finished and about to get out there.
Just wanted to say a couple of things about this discussion.
Firstly, I can't imagine not working in a continuity of care model and am dreading to
think I may have to work shift work - as a student I've found it really hard leaving a
woman in labour and getting back the next day to find shes ended up with an epidural
and forceps etc, etc.
Also NMAP is a fantastic document and I was so excited when first reading it to think
that I may be able to work in such a way through the public system.
About the high work load - couldnt those with young families take on a smaller
caseload?  I remember vaguely hearing that the Angliss trialed caseload a couple of
years back and had initial criticism from midwives that it would impinge on personal
lives but the same midwives later felt that this was not the case and really loved
working this way - anyone out there correct me if Im wrong on this?...
I also just wanted to add that the mid course at RMIT, like the bachelor mid courses,
is very much about preparing us for this kind of model.  One of the lecturers worked
as an indep. midwife in New Zealand, and has been very passionately teaching us all
about practicing in this way.  (eg Enkin et al is now a prescribed text).
Thats it - thanks for listening!
Jessica