Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] birth and the power of the mind

Fear  must have an impact on labour length.  Because fear produces adrenalin, and adrenalin inhibits the oxytocin, which is the hormone that works to make the uterus contract.  In the Active Birth classes I did in Sydney, we learned that you get a burst of adrenalin at the start of each contraction, and that if the adrenalin is not dealt with then the contraction will be less efficient, as the adrenalin is inhibiting the release of the oxytocin.  The idea is that the adrenalin is there to make us "wake up" and attend to the contraction, but because we usually associate pain with fear we feel the adrenalin as something to "run away" from.   So if the contractions are less efficient, that HAs to affect labour length.

That explains to me why labours often slow or stop on the journey to hospital : because we are mammals and our bodies are so clever that if they detect an "unsafe situation" they are designed to release adrenalin which halts early labour so we can get somewhere safe.   (or to deliver the baby fast if further in labour - but I am not sure of the hormones for that one!)

Especially when you look at the work of Michel Odent, where he noted that, when left to themselves, women seek out a quiet, dark corner to birth - I guess where they feel safe, and the adrenalin can be released, and the oxytocin can do its stuff.  Which then asks Qs about how can women find this dark private place to birth in a hospital situation?  And how can we help them to feel MORE safe in a hospital situation, where they are out of their comfort  zone?

And personally, my own labour changed immediately when there was a staff change - and the new midwife was a complete stranger, and very blunt and disinterested.  I went from feeling supported to feeling abandoned (and very frightened), and the effects on my labour were marked.  I hear this again and again from women I speak to who have had traumatic births - they were just so frightened.

Also does anyone have comments on "is simply providing information alleviate fear?"  When women are 'empowered through information' is this really all that needs to be done to empower, or does faith have an important role to play?

I believe "knowledge is power", but that EMpowerment comes from knowledge and SUPPORT.  A woman might have all this new knowledge to support her needs (esp for a vbac) but if she has no support, she may find it hard to feel empowered with this information.  By support I guess I mean : someone to share the info with and keep going over it, and discussing how the info brings up issues from the past birth, and what this info means to her as a woman, and someone WHo BELIEVES IN THIS WOMAN and in all women's innate ability to birth their babies.  I guess what I am saying is that the info has to be assimilated and supported for a woman to find strength and courage to act on the information.

 Does the faith or trust of those around the birthing women have an impact on her empowerment?

I believe, and read in a lot of sources, that we are more "open" to EVERYTHING when we are birthing - we are literally "opening up" our minds and bodies in birth.  So it stands to reason for me, then, that how we are perceived by the people around us as we birth is vitally important, as we are more open to every attitude that comes our way.  How can the birthing woman stay empowered if no-one arounds her believes she can do it?

Just my 20c worth!  You have touched on some topics I am very interested in!

Melissa