Indeed! I caught my two babies, though nearly forgot to! I was watching in a mirror and was so in awe of the physical feelings and the sight and the emotions, they (both times) had to remind me to catch the baby. It's just as well I've been through menopause -- I'd be looking to do it all again!
love,
aviva
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 2:45 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] when Sally met Harry

No flak here Aviva!!

I love to watch a baby birthed, totally amazed by miracle unfolding. For myself, that is my own self interest, I prefer to watch the baby emerge as it is so so amazing and beautiful.

I love to watch women in their power birthing their baby as they desire, or in their desire.

To  gaze in wonder as a baby is born with the unleashing of inhibitions.

We are, when in the medical model, trained to ‘watch the perineum’ as the caretakers! It does actually take a shift out of the medicalized model of birthing to trust without seeing for ourselves.

To stand back and trust the woman to know without me ‘seeing for myself’ is a huge shift in power dynamics.

It is equally wonderful to hear a woman say my baby is coming now and see her lift her baby from within her body.  Her control, her power, birthing and catching her own baby.

In peace and joy

Sally Westbury