Dear Isis - I am impressed with your response to Jo, and the way you have worked through your own experiences.  Congratulations.  You display courage and wisdom in your choice to birth (again) as naturally as possible.  I applaud and endorse the advice given by the private OB.  Being upright through labour and especially the use of water immersion which assists the process of softening and stretching the perineum, and 'feeling' your own progress in the expulsive stage.  Most importantly, allowing the time for the crowning and birth of the baby's head and body to be SLOW, and not forced in any way - YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT NEED AN EPISIOTOMY!!    Many birth practitioners (midwives AND ob's) get very anxious when the birth is slow, and feel compelled to intervene, especially if the birth is in water. Birth in water is gentle on baby and on you...Be guided by your instincts.  Best wishes, and let us know how it goes.  Kind regards, Lois

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 6:19 AM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] vaginal wall tearing

Hi Jo,

I tore to the 4th degree with my daughters birth. A mix of factors caused it- very fast labour, compound hand and forced pushing while on my back with my legs braced on midwives hips.. My poor perineum didn’t stand a chance.. Unlike your lady, I have had no problems healing, with incontinence or sexual dysfunction.

This birth I have been advised by hospital OB’s to have a c-section. Any midwife I speak to disagrees with that recommendation. A private OB agreed that a VB was indeed possible, but to keep upright, active during first stage. During second stage, no forced pushing as such. Follow my urges and to breathe/grunt with the uncontrollable urges. An episiotomy may be advisable while babe’s head is crowning to ‘take the pressure off’ the peri scar tissue. This same OB mentioned being in a bath, peri massage, hot compresses, having my hands on my peri to ‘feel’ what is happening- but most important, stay off my back J

I wish your lady luck and strength. It is a hard decision to make and only one that we (as the mother) can make. We are the ones that have to stick up for ourselves and take the bit between our teeth.. Then we have to be the one to climb back on the horse and ride again if we fall off..

I shall keep you all posted as to how this birth goes. Less then 10 weeks till birth time finds this family again J

Cheers-  Isis