From: "Jo & Dean Bainbridge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 29, 2003 11:07 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] vaginal wall tearing

I know there has been discussion in the past about this but I am in a hurry
to get some information for a woman whom had a positive vaginal birth that
turned ugly when she "tore badly inside and out" (in quotes because that is
what she said and I have no further knowledge of what sort of tearing it
was.) She has had incontinence problems and sexual dysfunction for the last
16 months.  Her first OB said to have a cs (of course) and then yesterday
she was told that she should not have a cs and that a vag birth would be the
best option.  She is now very confused and scarred as hubby wants her to
have cs and her fear is that a vag birth will increase problems they already
have.
She is willing to have a vag birth if she can optimise her chance of
reducing the damage if a tear happens again.
Can anyone offer midwifery woman focused care and positions etc that she
could use during a vag birth?  She would have a home birth but she can not
afford it.  I suggested an independent mw to take with her to hospital but
that was dismissed without reason.  She is an intelligent woman and if she
can read evidence to support the chance of her not having further damage
caused then she will opt for a vag birth I think.  She wants to make her
choice in three weeks so I would appreciate some help in gaining information
and not waste time surfing around
cheers wonderful women! Hope  you can help me help a woman avoid putting
herself and her baby through a cs.
Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
www.cares-sa.org.au