Dear Jo,
Our KYM scheme was set up 10 years ago for low risk women. The increase in
VBAC women has increased over recent years, so women strongly wanting a VBAC
have been included in our inclusion criteria to KYM. So if women want an
elective caesarean we are unable to offer care to them. Since 1999 to date
33 women have planned VBAC. 10 women required repeat emergency caesareans.
23 achieved their VBAC. 19 of those women had spontaneous vaginal births,
while the other 4 had assisted vaginal births associated with epidural use
or fetal distress. We have a 2nd KYM team that also has success with VBAC,
but I am not aware of their statistics.

The KYM midwives in my team often refer VBAC women for appointments to see
me. At the first visit we look at what happened last time to see the
contributing factors that lead to the caesarean and focus on trying to avoid
those happening again. The most common reason by far is the posterior
position of the baby in labour. We look at the woman's chances of success
depending on the contributing factors. The primary focus is on cephalic
optimal position, so if the last baby was breech, I proivde appropriate
information (Maggie Banks Breech Birth Woman Wise has a great chapter on how
to encourage turning a breech baby) and encourage the woman to focus on the
position of the baby. The focus on optimal fetal position is important for
women who have had previous posterior baby antenatally and while in
labour.It seems to me that women success rate of VBAC increase with the
woman's determination, partners and midwifery support.

The women receive a VBAC package with information regarding sucess rate for
VBAC, how to improve their chances of VBAC, the chances of uterine rupture,
hep lock, fetal monitoring, eating and drinking, post dates, natural and
medical induction, active birthing, epidural use and VBAC (increases chances
of another c/s or instrumental birth), moving on from anger, prelabour and
labour signs, comfort strategies, posterior labour, what if I need another
c/s and planning a dual birth plan. W e suggest women read books and provide
appropriate websites (eg. birthrites). I ask women if they would like to met
a woman who has achieved a VBAC, interestingly enough, most women have
already met someone who has had a VBAC. We focus on issues as they arise for
indivivdual women. I encourage that they inform support people of their
plans. The women know that they can come make an appointment to chat to me
as they need, but they also need to meet the other midwives of the team too.
I hope this helps Jo. If you would like to know more just let me know.
kathy